About Labra (Mixed Veg) Recipe: A traditional vegetarian breakfast curry, labra is made in both Bangladesh and Calcutta. It is a delightful mix of vegetables cooked together with spices. This can be cooked during the auspicious Durga Puja and also on Bengali New Year. The uniqueness in this veggie curry comes from the addition of five spice or Panch Phoran which is a mixture of mustard seeds, fennel, cumin, nigella (kalaunji) and fenugreek. It simply elevates any dish.
Prep Time: 15 mins
Cook Time: 30 mins
Total Cook Time: 45 mins
- 2 Potatoes (cut, lengthwise)
- 2 Brinjals, chopped
- 2 Radish, chopped
- 2 Cups Cabbage, chopped
- 1 Cauliflower (cut into pieces)
- 1 Pumpkin (cut into pieces)
- A pinch of Asafoetida
- Panch Phoran
- Ginger, grated
- 3-4 Green chilies (slit)
- Mustard oil
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric powder
- Heat oil in a pan, add the asafoetida, panch phoran and dry chilies.
- Put the vegetables one after another in the pan. First goes potatoes, after frying it a little the other veggies except pumpkin and last goes brinjal.
- Add turmeric and salt, cook in medium flame.
- Now add the pumpkin and little bit of sugar.
- Add the grated ginger and mix well.
- Five minutes later check if the potatoes have softened.
- Cook for some more time in low flame.
- Serve with steamed rice or hot khichdi.