Big on flavor and easy on the cook’s time, this orange-chipotle chicken recipe is appealing. The sweet-yet-hot sauce gets its heat from the chipotle pepper. I serve this dish with a side of rice.
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (6 ounces each)
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Dash pepper
- 1/4 cup chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons orange marmalade
- 1-1/2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1-1/2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons minced chipotle pepper in adobo sauce
- 1-1/2 teaspoons honey
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon cold water
- Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper. Transfer to a 1-1/2-qt. slow cooker. In a small bowl, combine the broth, marmalade, oil, vinegar, chipotle pepper, honey, chili powder and garlic powder; pour over chicken. Cover and cook on low for 3-4 hours or until a thermometer reads 165°.
- Remove chicken to a serving platter and keep warm. Place cooking juices in a small saucepan; bring to a boil. Combine cornstarch and water until smooth. Gradually stir into the pan. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Serve with chicken.
- Freeze option: Cool chicken mixture. Freeze in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through slowly in a covered skillet until a thermometer inserted in chicken reads 165°, stirring occasionally; add broth or water if necessary.