This soup is low in fat, high in fiber, and has a fantastically fresh flavor and wonderful texture. Best of all, it’s so simple to make.
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup quinoa, rinsed
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2-1/2 cups frozen peas (about 10 ounces)
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) reduced-sodium chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Optional toppings: Plain yogurt, croutons, shaved Parmesan cheese and cracked pepper
- In a small saucepan, bring water to a boil. Add quinoa. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, until water is absorbed, 12-15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, heat oil over medium-high heat; saute onion until tender. Stir in peas and broth; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, until peas are tender, about 5 minutes.
- Puree soup using an immersion blender, or cool slightly and puree soup in a blender; return to pan. Stir in quinoa, salt and pepper; heat through. Serve with toppings as desired.