About Zaitooni Subz Biryani Recipe: Here is a biryani recipe packed with the goodness of veggies and flavourful spices all tossed together for a delightful, rich dish to savour for lunch or dinner.
Prep Time: 20 mins
Cook Time: 1 hr 10 mins
Total Cook Time: 1 hr 30 mins
- 1/4 Cup basmati rice, soaked
- 10 Green olives
- 10 Black olives
- 4 Carrots (cut into ½ inch cube)
- 10 Babycorn (cut into ½ inch cubes)
- 2 Zucchini (cut into ½ inch cubes)
- 1/2 cup diced mushroom
- 10-12 Broccoli florets
- 1 cup green peas (shelled)
- Few threads of saffron
- 50 ml milk
- Oil (for frying)
- 4 large onion, sliced
- 2 Green cardamom
- 1 Black cardamom
- 4 Cloves
- 1/2 inch cinnamom
- 1 Bay leaf
- 1 1/2 tbsp red chilli pickle paste
- 4-5 green chilli, chopped
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp red chilli powder
- 3/4 tsp garam masala powder
- to taste salt
- 2 tbsp fresh coriander leaves, chopped
- 2 tbsp fresh mint, chopped
- 1-2 drops kewra essence
- Ginger (cut into thin strips)
- Soak the saffron in the warm milk.
- Drain and boil rice in four cups of boiling salted water with green cardamoms, black cardamom, cloves, cinnamon and bay leaf, until three-fourths done. Drain excess water.
- Heat oil in a kadai and deep-fry the onions till golden. Drain on absorbent paper.
- Blanch all the vegetables separately. Drain and refresh in cold water.
- In a bowl, mix the vegetables with the yogurt, red chilli pickle paste, green chillies, coriander powder, turmeric powder, chilli powder, half the garam masala powder, salt and half the browned onions.
- Transfer the mixture to a non stick deep pan; Spread the rice over the vegetables along with olives. Sprinkle the saffron-flavored milk, coriander leaves, mint leaves, kewra essence, ginger strips, remaining garam masala powder and remaining browned onions over the rice.
- Seal the pan with the lid and cook over medium heat, till the rice and vegetables are done. This may take around 15-20 minutes.
- Serve hot with a boondi raita of your choice.